Thursday 25 February 2010

Looking Back

Now that this blog is private it gives me a chance to be open and show my feelings I guess. That's a problem I have with Twitter, I have met many different kinds of people, some that I can pour my heart out to, others that are professional contacts and probably shouldn't be reading what's happening in my personal life.

Anyway, today I told my Dad that Mrs K (my missus) had been offered a job starting 31st May and that we'd be looking at moving in early May. It's best to drip feed my family this info, they've never been good handling change. They usually come to a decision after months and months of deliberation...I'm a bit of a black sheep, and impulsive.

Dad took it as well as he good. Yet, this big slab of enormous guilt came slamming down on me. Here's a man that's just lost his wife, the bedrock of his world and his son is now abandoning him with his two grandchildren. Of course, I am pushing like crazy to get my Dad to come out with us and he's quite positive about it. But like I said, he'll take months and months to come to a decision. I know there are complications, but complications are obstacles, you figure a way to get over them.

So tonight I had a quick look back. Memories of mum and of friends in Australia came to mind and the last visit mum and dad made to meet Noah in 2006.

I never had an amazing relationship with my parents. As I grew up, I realised that I was very different to them. I thought differently and I acted differently. I can't imagine what they must have thought when I first told them I was emigrating, I guess if my kids ever make a similar decision I'll find out what it's like.

But in 2006, I had the best holiday ever. Mum and Dad had already visited Perth the year before and done a lot of the touristy stuff. So this time we decided to book a few days down south in Margaret River. It's a gorgeous place about 3hrs drive south of Perth. It's famous for it's wineries and it's incredibly picturesque.

We stayed in this lovely little cottage overlooking the ocean. The weather was windy and cold. But I felt so at peace. Noah was just a couple of months old and I didn't have a care in the world. Dad was in his element stoking the fire. It was just perfect. My memory has never been a strong point, but I have the photos and I hope I never forget that holiday.




1 comment: